How To Make A Spicy Pork & Beef Meatball Sandwich — Recipe
Some sandwiches aspire to greatness, while others are just born to it. The latter is certainly the case with this one. We collaborated with Martin’s Famous Pastry Shoppe to bring you the Spicy Pork & Beef Meatball Sandwich, a delicate blend of meat and spices that will elevate your next meal to the Italian countryside.
The meatballs feature a combination of sweet Italian pork sausage and the Schweid & Sons One Percenter to bring you a robust flavor unmatched by any other meatball! When you make this sandwich for your next family meal don’t forget to use Martin’s Potato Rolls.
- 1/2 lb Schweid & Sons The Prime Burger or The One Percenter
- 1/2 lb Sweet Italian Sausage
- fresh mozzarella
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp salt
- 4 Jarred Hot Cherry Peppers (minced)
- 1/4 cup Hot Cherry Pepper Pickling Liquid
- 12 oz Martin's Potatobred Stuffing
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp Basil
- 3 Large Eggs
- Martin's 12 Sliced or Long Potato Rolls
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle olive oil into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and spread to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
- 2. Using a knife, slice open the casing on each sausage and remove it. Once you have uncased the sausage, place the sausage meat and burgers into a large bowl.
- 3. Combine the ground pork, ground beef, salt, cherry peppers, pickling liquid, Martin’s Potatobred Stuffing, garlic, basil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- 4. Roll the mixture into round, golf-ball sized meatballs (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter) making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls into the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
- 5. Roast for 20 minutes, or until brown and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit when cooked through.
- 6. Remove meatballs from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 7. Slice fresh mozzarella into 1.5″ squares.
- 8. Serve on Martin’s 12 Sliced or Long Potato Rolls. Top with a slice of fresh mozzarella and your favorite red sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh basil.
Tip: Place finished sandwich under the broiler just until cheese is melty and golden. We recommend adding a little butter or Pam to your Martin’s Potato Rolls to help give them a golden brown sheen.
About Martin’s Famous Pastry Shoppe
Martin’s Famous Pastry Shoppe, Inc. is a family owned and operated consumer goods company headquartered in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. They are a bread and roll manufacturer that is rigorously dedicated to extraordinary taste, quality and customer service and proudly represents their legacy of cherished eating experiences.
Their story starts in the 1950s, in the heart of “Pennsylvania Dutch” country in the kitchen of Lois and Lloyd Martin. It was there that they perfected their potato roll. In 1958, they converted their garage into a small bakery and throughout the next twenty years, distribution grew from local farmers’ markets to corner grocery stores and on to supermarkets. The sweet, buttery taste, soft texture, and distinctive golden color made the Martin’s Potato Roll an instant favorite.