One of many exciting events that will be taking place during this year’s NYC Burger Week (May 1-7) is the Twisted Burger Experience on Thursday, May 5. This is an awesome opportunity to sample not one, not two, but four mouthwatering specialty Burgers that Chef Sean Thomes will be rolling out at Uncle Sam’s Burgers throughout May in honor of National Hamburger Month.
Everyone at both Uncle Sam’s and Schweid & Sons is excited about this event. To celebrate, Chef Sean was kind enough to share the recipe for one of these special Burgers. Behold! The Bun Mi Burger, a savory/sweet fusion of American and Asian flavors that illustrates exactly what is so great about Uncle Sam’s and their unique menu.
Cook up one of these bad boys for yourself at home—and if you want to try the real deal, come join us at Uncle Sam’s on May 5!
Uncle Sam’s Bun Mi Burger
- 4 Schweid and Sons 4 oz Butcher’s Blend Burger Patties
- 1 each Julienne cucumbers
- 1 each Julienne Red peppers
- 1 each Julienne carrots
- 1 each Julienne red onions
- 3 TBL Kosher salt
- Vietnamese dressing (see below)
- 4 oz Shredded napa cabbage
- 4 oz Carrots, julienne
- 4 oz Shredded red cabbage
- Honey ginger dressing (see below)
- 1 bunch Cilantro, leaves only
- 4 each Martins potato rolls
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 2 TBL chili paste
- 2 each limes, juiced
Bring sugar and water to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Be sure all the sugar is dissolved. Let the syrup cool. Once the simple syrup is cool add the chili paste and lime juice.
Honey Ginger Dressing
- 2 cups Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sour cream
- 4 TBL Honey
- 1 TBL Ginger, grated & peeled
- ½ TBL Kosher salt
- ½ TBL Mustard
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- Place the julienne cucumbers, peppers, onions and carrots in a large bowl. Lightly salt them with the kosher salt and set in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- While the vegetables are in the refrigerator, prepare the Vietnamese and honey ginger dressing.
- Prepare your Burgers by seasoning them on both sides with salt and pepper. Pre-heat a sauté pan, cast iron skillet or griddle. Cook the Burgers to your desired temperature.
- Toast your buns and start to assemble your creation. Start by combine both cabbages and carrots with the honey ginger dressing. Place the cabbage slaw on the bottom bun. Next place the burger patty on top of the slaw.
- Remove the vegetables from the refrigerator and rinse them really well. They should be pliable but still crisp to eat. Toss the vegetables with the Vietnamese dressing.
- Top each patty with some of the vegetables.
- Finally, garnish your Burgers with some fresh torn cilantro leaves.
About Chef Sean Thomes
Sean Thomes’s passion for food and cooking started early in life, when a friend of the family got him his first job working at a golf course club house. After graduating culinary school, he followed his stomach around the country working in fine dining and casual dining restaurants; everything from French-inspired bistro’s to BBQ joints. With the bulk of his career spent in an Asian-inspired, full-service restaurant, the transition to Uncle Sam’s Burgers and Bowls, creating bold Asian twists on American classics, seemed like the natural progression.
Taste life with a Twist.
Join Uncle Sam’s Burgers and Schweid & Sons for a very menu sampling dinner at NYC Burger Week, May 1-7. If you attend the Twisted Burger Experience, you’ll be able to sample all 4 of Chef Sean’s Burgers in one sitting. This event will only take place one time so don’t miss out!