New York Deli Burger Recipe
There are many things that New Yorkers hold sacred and one of them is having a reliable bodega near their apartment. A bodega is a corner store where you can purchase necessary household items without having to make a trip to the grocery store. Items like cat food, paper plates, laundry detergent and so forth are the things you can rely on your bodega to have in stock. Bodegas also usually have snack foods, drinks and groceries like milk, eggs and cheese.
If you are really lucky, your bodega also has some of the best, most reliable and affordable food in town. New Yorkers have come to rely on their bodega for bacon, egg & cheese sandwiches and coffee in the morning, a quick but fresh lunch on the go that could include salad, prepared foods and more or a very creative & necessary late night snack.
The best bodegas are a combination of a great convenience store and an awesome deli. While a deli in NYC is something completely different. Our delis are serious food affairs and often owned or operated by a Jewish family. They specialize in mile high pastrami, corned beef and brisket sandwiches. Our big delis are super famous and known for worldwide excellence in sandwiches.
We created the New York Deli Burger as a tribute to our love for New York City Deli’s and bodegas. It combines some of our favorite elements of each in an easy to make and delicious way.
- Fry bacon to desired crispness in a skillet or cook on grill using a grill sheet. Once done remove from grill.
- Cook Burger patty over medium-high heat on grill or skillet. Flip only once and sear the other side. About 3-4 minutes per side.
- Just before second side of Burger is done, place cheddar cheese on top to melt.
- Option 1: GRILL – Cook for about 40-55 seconds per side in a hot skillet.
- Option 2: STEAM – Wrap slices of pastrami in aluminum foil. Place it over a pot of boiling water for up to 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated
- Allow Burger to rest for about 1 minute on the roll, cheese side facing down.
- Top with 2 slices of Pastrami folded in half over top of the Burger patty
- Add lettuce to sandwich
- Add mustard to taste