There are holidays and then there are food holidays!
According to food historian website Foodimentary, February 2nd is National Tater Tot day. The words “Tater Tot” are actually a registered trademark owned by Ore-Ida, which is a division of the H. J. Heinz Company. Tater Tots are made from grated potatoes that are deep-fried and known to be cylindrical in shape.
The Ore-Ida labs first released them to the public in 1956 and they’ve been a popular side dish ever since. Sometimes you will find them listed under other names like”potato gems”, “potato royals”, “potato pom-poms” or simply “tots.”
Tots can be served with just a little seasoning salt or with a choice of condiments on the side from ketchup to ranch and beyond. I’ve seen everything from handmade Tater Tots to Tater Tots with Alfredo bacon dipping sauce and even “Totchos” AKA Tater Tot nachos.
There’s no end to how creative you can get with a dish of fried potatoes and a day like National Tater Tot day is a great to have a fun promotion or limited time offer around Tater Tots.
NATIONAL TATER TOT DAY PROMOTIONAL IDEAS
- Totcho limited time offer
- Test out new dipping sauces
- Cheese sauces; Cheddar, American, Nacho, etc
- Creamy sauces: Garlic Aioli, Blue Cheese / Ranch Hybrid, Alfredo Bacon
- Spicy: Chipotle Aioli, Buffalo Sauce Tots, Sriracha Ranch
- Introduce sweet potato Tater Tots
- Free side of Tater Tots
- Top a burger with Tater Tots
- Handmade Tater Tots stuffed with cheese
- Offer different spices or finishing salts like Old Bay, Garlic & Herb, Parmesan
- Top a baked dish, like Mac-N-Cheese with Tater Tot crumbles
Photo: a plate of Totchos so thick, a knife can stand up in them! From Idle Hands Bar in NYC.