If it wasn’t clear enough from the cookbook that we recently published, let us say now how much we love all the different ways that ground beef can be used outside of the Burger form. Of course, that doesn’t mean it can’t still be hand-portable—some of the best dishes are the ones that you can eat without a knife and fork to hold you back.
That’s why this recipe for Hamburger empanadas by Chef Erica Gendler is so mouth-wateringly amazing. Owner and chef of License 2 Grill in Thornwood, NY, Chef Gendler knows a thing or two about comfort food. Just look at her menu—everything from the Nutella mousse to the Texas turkey chili promises to wrap you in whatever the food equivalent of a warm, fuzzy blanket is. And these empanadas, of course, are no exception.
We’re particularly excited to be joining Chef Gendler and a whole host of other talented chefs at the 2016 Westchester Wine & Food Festival Burger & Beer Blast on June 9. Not only will there be incredible beer and great music to sample, but these amazing chefs will be creating their spin on the all-American Burger for a chance to win the Blue Moon Best Burger Award.
Be sure to grab your tickets, but in the meantime, enjoy these amazing empanadas!
- Schweid & Sons Grass-Fed Standard ground beef
- Dough (puff pastry, pizza dough, biscuits, or croissant dough are all suitable)
- Season and brown the ground beef to your taste. We use garlic, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Drain half or all of the fat (if desired, this is optional).
- Chop the pickles into a dice (larger than relish) and dry them off with a towel or paper towel.
- Add the ketchup and pickles to the cooked meat and stir to combine the ingredients well.
- Stuff the pastry of your choice with this combined mixture.
- Bake or fry until golden brown and the dough is fully cooked.
About Chef Gendler
Chef Erica Gendler is the owner of License 2 Grill in Thornwood, NY. After 18 years in the foodservice industry, the opportunity to own and operate her own American comfort food establishment in Westchester presented itself. Recently chosen as one of the top 15 “hole-in-the-wall” restaurants to visit in New York and Best of Westchester winner in 2015, Chef Gendler believes she is on the right track with her food and spirit of hospitality.