How To Make Brother Jimmy’s Signature BBQ Burger — Recipe
Are you as pumped as we are about the fact that NYC Burger Week is right around the corner? One of the greatest things about NYC Burger Week (among many) is the amount of sheer talent that the participating chefs bring to the table—both figuratively and literally.
Take, for example, Chef Eva Pesantez of Brother Jimmy’s BBQ. With locations spread across the City and up and down the East Coast, Pesantez and her team serve up some seriously amazing Southern classics, as well as some down-south spins on other American favorites.
They’ll be hosting a Kentucky Derby viewing party during NYC Burger Week on May 7, but we were lucky enough to snag this awesome recipe from Pesantez herself. Think of it as stomach and mouth training for all of those Burgers you’ll be eating during Burger Week. Enjoy!
Brother Jimmy’s Signature BBQ Burger
- 3 lbs Schweid & Sons Butcher’s Blend
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 egg or potato rolls, buttered and toasted in a pan or on the grill (take care not to burn)
- Fried onion rings
- Preheat your grill to medium high.
- Divide 3 lbs Schweid & Sons Butcher’s Blend into 6-8 ounce Burgers and season them liberally with salt and pepper.
- When the grill is hot, place the Burgers on and sear each side—touch once only to flip (about 3 minutes).
- After the flip, baste the cooked sides with the BBQ sauce, cook for about 2 minutes, flip again, baste again, and place a slice of cheese on each Burger to melt.
- To assemble, place the Burgers on the roll and divide the onion ring onto each burger.
- Top and dig in!
About Eva Pesantez
Eva Pesantez’s passion for food and natural culinary acumen has been the driving force in her success in the restaurant industry. Currently the Corporate Executive Chef for all Brother Jimmy’s locations, Eva has used her experience, skills, and instinct to elevate the cuisine at the always popular NYC BBQ restaurants.
With a solid background and knowledge of culinary business and techniques, Eva’s entrepreneurial spirit led her to her own catering business, Savor, which launched in 2005. Sharing a space within the central food headquarters of Brother Jimmy’s, she quickly realized that the ever-growing chain headed by brother and owner, Josh Lebowitz, needed a hand overseeing the kitchen’s for then six NYC locations.
Eva hasn’t wasted any time since her appointment in November 2008; she redesigned the Brother Jimmy’s dining experience by introducing lunch specials and a new brunch menu. As Brother Jimmy’s celebrates their 20th Anniversary in 2009, she plans to continue to grow this popular bar and restaurant into the top spot on Manhattan’s BBQ slate, all while simultaneously managing her catering business.
Join Chef Eva at NYC Burger Week on May 7!
Enjoy the Kentucky Derby viewing party at Brother Jimmy’s with off-menu Burgers and paired drinks, presented by Schweid & Sons, featuring The Sisterhood Of The Unbuttoning Pants. See you there!