Since New Jersey is the home of Schweid & Sons, we might be a little biased when it comes to our love of the classic slider. A smaller-sized Burger packed with monster-sized flavor, the perfect slider is juicy and never bogged with too many toppings or frills. It doesn’t need to be huge to be exactly what you need right now.
It comes as no surprise, then, that Rob Goodman felt the need to bring a proper slider to the streets of South Florida with his Jersey Dawg food truck. A New Jersey native himself, Goodman found himself missing the staples that make the Garden State a haven for foodies with a love of American classics—namely, the Ripper (a hot dog deep-fried until it literally bursts at the seams) and the tasty Burgers you see above.
Making a proper NJ Slider is an art form. We asked Goodman to share his recipe and thankfully for all of us, he said yes!
The Classic Slider
- 75/25 Ground Chuck
- American Cheese
- Yellow Onion
- Martins Sandwich (Burger) Rolls
- Ball ground chuck into 2-3oz portions.
- Cut yellow onions using a mandoline one step above paper thin.
- Place balled ground chuck on a flat top grill. The heat should be no hotter than low to medium. We are not looking for a sear like most Burgers.
- Place a good amount of onions on top of the ball and pat until it becomes flat. There should be enough onion to make a layer completely covering the full surface of the meat.
- Add a few dashes of kosher salt to the onion side and let brown.
- Flip the Burger onion-side down. Lightly salt the other side of the patty.
- Place the American cheese on top, then the bottom bun, and lastly, the top bun onto the patty. Lightly pat the bun so the juices aid in caramelizing the onions. This will also create vapors which will, in turn, steam the bun.
- When the onions become brown in color, the Burger is done.
- Now for the tricky part: Pick up the Burger with a turner. Slide the bottom bun, Burger, and onions off while catching it with the top of the bun.
- Serve with a side of dill pickle chips and enjoy!
About Rob Goodman
Rob Goodman is a former oncology RN and Jersey native turned food truck owner and hot dog/slider aficionado.
Having grown up in northern New Jersey and moved to south Florida, he missed the great food. He was working as an oncology RN, which provided him with a good living, but he has always been passionate about food. He saved for a few years and hung up his scrubs.
Soon after, Jersey Dawg was born, bringing two classic New Jersey comfort foods under one roof: The Ripper and the Jersey Slider. He hopes to feed you soon!
If you’re attending the 2016 South Beach Wine & Food Festival® Amstel Light Burger Bash presented by Schweid & Sons and hosted by Rachael Ray, be sure to try a Burger from Jersey Dawg! Rob and Jersey Dawg will be competing to win The Schweid & Sons Very Best Burger Award as decided by the panel of judges.
Follow schweid & Sons
Error: Access Token is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.