How To Make Certified Angus Beef® Bacon Onion Jam – Recipe
You may recall our recent Cattle Call with Chef Michael Ollier, corporate chef over at Certified Angus Beef®. More specifically, you likely remember drooling over the picture of his mouthwatering bacon onion jam Burger that was featured on said post. So how much would you love to be able to make this at home?
Chef Michael is a wizard when it comes to beef. He travels the country leading cooking demonstrations and bringing cooking tips to the masses on behalf of Certified Angus Beef®, all the while maintaining the admirable philosophy that fresh ingredients = great food.
At this year’s NYC Food Film Festival, Chef Michael was featured in “Science of the Burger,” a documentary by George Motz about the what really the makes us love Burgers. In the film, Chef Michael teamed up with Dr. Phil Bass to create the Very Best Burger using Certified Angus Beef®. What they came up with is the beauty you see above: the Beef Bacon Onion Jam Burger, packed with fresh flavor and oozing over with delicious bacon onion jam.
Chef Michael and his team were kind enough to share this recipe with us, so we’re passing it on to you. Now go forth and smother your Burgers!
Beef Bacon Onion Jam
Serves 50 burgers
- 2 pounds beef bacon, thick sliced (apx 3/16-inch)
- 3 pounds thinly sliced sweet Vidalia onions (apx. 4ea)
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) balsamic vinegar
- large cast iron pan
- Cut bacon into lardons approximately 1″x 3/16″ x 3/16″
- Render bacon in cast iron pan. Strain, reserving fat.
- Using same cast iron pan, sear onions in batches in bacon fat until brown edges and transparent begins. Deglaze with balsamic. Add back to bacon.
Yield: tested to 54-ounces by weight. Serve 1-ounce with each burger.
Recipe provided by Certified Angus Beef LLC