Here at Schweid & Sons, we take the freedom to make one’s Burgers however one likes very, very seriously. We’ve even launched an entire movement to support this cause. So what’s better than a restaurant that gives you the ability to literally Build Your Own Burger?
Enter Philip Smith, the director of culinary at D’Angelo Grilled Sandwiches in New England. One of the best items they offer on their menu is the Build Your Own Burger option, which allows customers to aspire to Burger greatness with their choice of over 20 toppings. Smith shared with us his own variation on this theme with his BYO Double Burger, stacked high and oozing with spice and flavor.
BYO Double Burger
- Toasted deli roll
- 2 each, 1/3 lb fresh Burgers
- White cheddar
- Mesquite BBQ sauce
- Green leaf lettuce
- Jalapeno slices and banana peppers
- Red onion
- Salt and pepper
- Sear Burgers for approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper, and grill on a flat-top until grey/pink to the center.
- Top each Burger with cheddar for the last minute of cooking.
- Toast the deli roll, then sauce the roll on both faces.
- Top the roll base with one Burger, add the second Burger, then top with tomatoes, jalapeños, banana peppers, red onion, lettuce, and the crown of the roll.
About Philip Smith
Philip Smith is the Director of Culinary and New Product Development at D’Angelo Grilled Sandwiches and Papa Gino’s Pizzeria in New England.