1. Cook beef, chop in pan, until pink has left. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and discard most of the rendered fat. Leave just a slick of fat in pan. Beef should be pebbly and moist.
2. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
3. Sauté veggies in butter 5 mins. Add flour, stir to coat and add broth slowly while stirring. Simmer 5 mins, add wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and simmer. Add seasonings, stir to incorporate then return beef to pan. Stir all.
4. Simmer covered for up to 45mins. if it dries out, add some more broth. If still wet uncover and cook until not so liquid.
5. Make mashed potatoes while meat is simmering. Boil potatoes until knife goes thru easy – about 20mins. Drain water, mash potatoes in large mixing bowl. Then add sour cream, cream and butter, and whip with hand mixer. Add 2 pinches of salt to taste
6. Add peas after an hour and cook covered for 5 mins. Let cool completely and then add mixture to an 8” square baking pan. Cover with the mashed potatoes, gently, and score with fork. Sprinkle lightly with the grated cheddar then pop into the oven for 25 mins or until top is golden.